Sunday 26 June 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book I, Part 1.v



 from Book I, Part 1, Mystery Tramp Eclogues
 
26 Piazza di Spagna


Rain, dull days of it – a pocket of sleet
empties in the fountain of bees and suns.

First one, then twos and threes, yellow-ray
umbrellas open on the Spanish Steps, where
Mussolini’s mock-heroics nail each building to its time,
fascisti graffito SPQR – a camp commemoration
bull-necked on the plinths.

In Prada, colour-wheel handbags
for schoolgirl Japanese… what else…?

My father came through in ‘forty-four,
between somewhere and anywhere. I have a photo,
of him in Army-issue shades, leaning on a Jeep, 
in one hand a Chianti bottle, in the other
a Lucky Strike.

Time accommodates, healing nothing here.

The rocket taxi carves new shortcuts
through the crowds –’Don’t worry, Mister,
I drive Roma plenty’.

… What else…?

Rain, dull days of it, sleet
waited-out in doorways – time and raw colour,
the cough that killed Keats.

No comments:

Post a Comment