Sunday 3 July 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book I, Part 1.vii

from Book I, Part 1, Mystery Tramp Eclogues



Envoi


From the centurion gate, sharp shadows
fall among wild flowers, a mountain of cut stone
sunk in grass since Diocletian’s time.
A preference for the Virgin cult
teased the blood lust from these façades,
the bishopric from bacchanal.

Our sins are set, in monument bronze, or baroque
in gilt relief. At the graves of the great
we arrive for absolution, for abeyance
of fire in this attendance.

On the steps, a beggar bares ankle sores,
calling misery to its coin.

Rome, wolf-suckler – from this tended flame, empire,
the river rising
through tombs and fighting-pits –
in this place, the guilty dead burn and burn.

I step by the queues to the basilica, its colours
and sufferings and deeds of light.

I am released from history, turning back
with other ghosts, through the orchard
and the shadow gate, along the path of worn stone
to the temple of the poisoners.


     

1 comment:

  1. Spirited words, brother! May I cite the opening verse in my own work (with proper reference)?

    ReplyDelete