Thursday 7 July 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book I, Part 1.ix

from Book I, Part 1, Mystery Tramp Eclogues


The Idler’s Miscellany


Gaius Valerius Catullus, c 84 BCE – 54 BCE; it is suggested that his great love, the ‘Lesbia’ of his poems, was probably Clodia Metelli, sister of the demagogue Publius Clodius Pulcher, and wife of Quintus Metellus Celer. He served in Bithynia in 57 BCE, in the entourage of provincial governor Gaius Memmius. It is thought that while there he visited the grave of his elder brother, before returning to Italy the following year. He died in Rome.


What was she to me

Gone now, taking sunny days with her

I should have seen it coming, moping here

And miserable



I realize now that I did all the running

She only joined the chase

Because she wanted to be caught

No more kisses for you, lady

I’ve got my head screwed-on

At last



She’s pretty enough, but I see now

A hard bitch in other ways

Thinking back on the good times

Everything seemed possible



I can still taste her mouth



Catullus

You’re an idiot




Here, Postumia, sit on my lap

And make the room stop spinning



This wine’s not so weak after all

And Bacchus knows

I like my Falernian straight off the vine



Where’s that waiter gone

Sit on my lap, Postumia

Sit on this




Fabullus, darling

Long time no see



I’d forgotten your wife was such a looker



By all means

Dinner

You bring the salt, the wine

Something nice, a little entertainment

And I’ll recite the poems about True Love

I saved for a special occasion



Here, have a sniff of this

It’s new, the latest scent, Venus Herself

I think it’s called



One whiff and you’ll beg the gods

To transform you into One Big Nose

Even starting with a hooter

The size of yours




Speaking of noses, that girl’s

Is not the daintiest

And how can she get through the door

With those feet



Little piggy fingers

And

Her makeup’s awful



Can you believe she’s praised

For her grace and beauty



Ha



I hear Mamurra the bankrupt

Kept her in the provinces

Imagine, whoring for the likes of him



No standards anymore, that’s the trouble




Gellius, wise up, this guy’s a creep

Do you think it’s normal, mounting your own mother

Or your sister

Your hand working beneath your clothes



The farthest Tethys and the Oceans

The Nymph King himself

Imagine nothing lower



Nam nihil est quicquam sceleris, quo prodeat, ultra



His head tucked in his own crotch, sucking and sucking




My girl swears it’s me she’d marry

Even if Jupiter himself came courting

It’s me she’d choose



Still, she always talks that way



About everything



Arms waving, talking and talking

Even when we’re at it



Love, something written

On water




Why do you make me love you

You make me crazy, how can I respect you



You act like such a slut



If this is going to work

We both need to be better people



You particularly




I’m torn up over you

How can you expect me to feel two things at once

To explain it all away

Like nothing happened



Love and hate



Two other words




I take her abuse

She works herself into a rage



Her husband regards the whole thing

As highly amusing



Shit for brains, if he knew what the rages meant

It wouldn’t seem so funny



She can’t forget me, can’t find the cure

Can’t find the silence

That says she’s over me




Even in public, such insults



The more she realises she still wants me

The more furious she gets



I’m the same

I never miss an opportunity

Dishing the dirt to anyone who’ll listen



It must be love




Don’t believe everything I say, Tappo

I’d dig out my own eyes before I’d think

Of hurting her



I was true, she more than cherished

We more than lovers, no others above her



It’s just that sometimes

Thinking about her, I can’t seem to help myself



*



Brother, I have come to your grave

In this far place

At the end of oceans



Here, to your ashes

My offering, a tribute our fathers would have known



How else to mark this grief



The last time I saw you

Neither of us thinking of tears

Or goodbyes




No other island or peninsula

Allowed by Neptune a place untroubled on the sea

Pleases me as much as you

Sirmione



Safe back from Thynia

At last the journey to our own house

Ended, among our own gods



We deserve a rest, a couch

A lake to look upon



A chance to laugh-off Asia Minor

No comments:

Post a Comment