Wednesday 27 July 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book I, Part 2. x-xii

from Book I, Part 2, Revelations of a Lesser Wife

The Empty Bed


In the late afternoon

Clawing at the garden, pulling weeds

She weeps, hearing

Of her neighbour’s husband

Returned



Was it only yesterday, geese

Made their way north

And now, coming back this morning

Noisy migrations of spring

To autumn



Spring

To autumn



Still no news, nobody coming



She knows the reason for chores



Kneeling at her washing stone

Pounding and pounding




Letter to Zian



The road clings to the mountain face

Stones set steeply in regret



My journey from you



Your voice finds its way to me down icy roads

Along the desolate valleys

Snow peaks so far away



I think of the tranquillity in your face



Drinking-songs in spring, gaming all night   

Idle companions



What can I say 

The centre of the pine is sap

Not stone



Something between us is postponed

Little birds, looking for their place



Winter is lonely



A full moon may find us together again



I have said my goodbyes



What souvenirs can I offer but these

Tears welling  
       



Reflections in Late Spring



Oriole chatter carries off my dreams   



I dab make-up over last night’s tears



The new moon snags in bamboo slats

The river beyond, hugging mists



Swallows repair their nests

Beaks mud-clumped



Insects stir, sticky pollen flights



Everything to its purpose



I am adrift in my poems, one by one

I watch them

Floating up through the pines

No comments:

Post a Comment