Thursday 1 September 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book II, Part 1.v

from Book II, Part 1, Studies in Caesura

A Timeline of the Conquest

The ship sank off Yucatan, I alone
coming to the shore, a slave to the Maya
these past ten years.

My lord Geronimo de Aguilar, after a long campaign,
discovered me, and bartered for my freedom,
thinking I should know the chiselled glyphs
mapping the places
of gold and silver – translate the stony heights into plunder
for the King of Spain.

I could say only what I know: of fever
draining through the heart,
of the noises in the night, the cries
of strange animals.

I could say only, that for the colour blue
the Maya have nine words, or perhaps
it is one word
casting nine shadows;

three for the sky banked with oily clouds, the sky
polished with heat, or caught
pale before dawn
in the time of the blood festivals;

one for the stones
ground brightly for diadems of thirsty gods;

two for pools of ceremonial light
reserved to cleanse 
the first-born for the sacrifice;
the last three words they hold more closely,
to describe, along the city walls, the density of colour

beneath changing skies, here and there
where pikes are set: above the spiked heads
of conquistadors,
the flies in moody plumes.



No comments:

Post a Comment