Wednesday 7 September 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book II, Part 2.iii

from Book II, Part 2, An Almanac of Deeper Dreams


Yellow

From all I knew
towards everything I know: the town,
the beer joints
by the Court House, and behind it
in the shade of hack-branch pine, jailbirds
on ice, for knife fights or a drunken grudge.

On Water Street, unchanged since Lincoln,
the cobbles jarred feed-sacks
from the wagons, in the road, clumps of seed grain stained
with plug-tobacco spit.

I loafed under awnings,
watching the farmers, their heavy wives, dolt boys in tow,
or, where gene-pools startled to a depth and cleared, daughters
of a brief and incandescent beauty.

Setting-out was half the journey, from the railhead,
mile-long trains trailing north into Ohio, east to Carolina;
in my pocket the pencilled notes
of stone-melt heat in August − the look
the South takes
when it no longer cares who sees.

Mother’s friend, Mrs Carlisle, had a radio show,
Kitty’s Talk of the Town, snugged
between Best Country Tunes and Farming Today, and asked me
would I read a poem ‘or maybe two…’

Come the day, I was late, just made the cue
with a wither-look from ‘Kitty’, though she and Mother never knew
I lost the time on Water Street,
polishing my style:
near the feed store, her kin
loading up, Sweet Sixteen staring hard, hard

to make me see
the way she smoothed first one hand
past her dip of waist, then with the other wiped
a sweat bead slow along her throat,
deep into the damp, loose yellow of her dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment