Sunday 11 September 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book III, Part 1.ii

from Book III, Part 1, The Lord of Time, His Curiosity and Galliard

A Space in Time

Last night I saw your mother,
dead these many years,
climbing stairs in an old building, stairs
wide, marbled pink and green, the flights
twenty, perhaps thirty steps between landings.

I heard footsteps, and glancing over the balustrade
I saw her.

I called to her, two floors below,
but she, looking up
only a moment, declined to speak.

I leapt, two, four steps at a time,
and saw her disappearing through a door;
I followed.

The room, large, panelled in waxy oak,
reminded me of my college Common Room,
and everyone there
stared as I entered.

They all seemed to know me,
but they were not as I first thought – people, yes,
but somehow other than themselves.

A girl came towards me, asking the others,
Can I touch him
as though it required consent
of all, for this gathering of faint energies
(some I saw right through) to share
a space in time, its senses recollected.

But when she touched me, she said only,
No, he’s not the one, and the others knew,
and looked away.

I wanted you to know, last night
I saw your mother, dead these many years,
and I,
along the stairs,
hear someone calling too, but I no longer know myself
to answer, as one you see in dreams,
at first, and then you see right through.



No comments:

Post a Comment