Sunday 4 September 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book II, Part 2.ii

from Book II, Part 2, An Almanac of Deeper Dreams


Nones

Lancaster Avenue’s resident spinster
still weathered winter
in Victorian splendour, her hermitage a sprawl
of walls and shingled spires within her snowy woods.

From my window, looking out
towards her estate, I watched a barn owl
soft and silent, sailing out in evening light,
its shadow passing
faint across the flurry fields.

From my writing desk
I could see the distant silhouettes – bare trees
against pewter sky.

My careful poems set-out, scratched through,
my fingers stained from dip-pen ink,
a cat’s-cradle of sonnets
suspended the world, that world,
in the winter of sixty-seven.

The room was always cold, the quiet grief of the house
that December my father died.

Across the panes, a bib of ice
never hid the view entirely: once seen, I knew
what held, what threaded silences together.

I thought more of Ruskin than the Beats; my sister
the previous spring
secretly married; Mother’s bedroom door was closed.

Thinking back, it was the stillness I remember −
at that time of year, at that hour
of the afternoon, the dark coming early, the owl’s flight
finishing with a kill.

1 comment:

  1. I remember '67. I remember you then. Looking into your eyes was like peering over that keen slice of balance at the edge of a bottomless abyss, or what I've since come to think of as the event horizon of a black hole.

    What horror you'd seen started back as evil mystery at the very edge between skin and everything .... reminding me of another one or your quips elsewhere on Lancaster Ave., something like, "the philosopher's last line of defense is his skin."

    I was always a diver into those daring unknowns. You were then and are still my brother; despite all.

    ReplyDelete