Wednesday 31 August 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book II, Part 1.ii

from Book II, Part 1, Studies in Caesura

Ground Zero

8:15

Beyond Mount Fuji, ritual heat.


And light − through paper screens, through eating-sticks

and bowls where the boiled pulse refused to cool,

through bone, and the heart

bound in the blood’s courteous habit − in the island chain

where the warrior cult rakes low over waves

towards the carriers,

raw, atomic air…


a child running, running,

face sliding down the jut of jawbone, the drip of fingertips

on the burning road,

from high, silver distance, a city sighted,

the crosshair the bridge and river made

marking blast ratios,

shadows, vapour where they stood, the thin

scrawl of their humanity across ransacked stars.


8:46/9:06

On impact,

the towers

ring, a tuning-fork skyline juddering, and people impossibly

flying, arms and legs out-stretched.


Tiny from upper storeys, letter Xs

repeated single-file or in throwaway clutches,

settling to craters where the streets had been, to what

remained of Mister Kurtz,

who had disappeared up-river, in a book we were reading

about the dark.


9:47

I am crawling through the centre of a scream

I am crawling through sirens

Through spatter of people

I am crawling through people taking charge

I am crawling through pictures on TV


I am crawling through the stations

That were closed, through people

Running, running after other people


I am crawling through ring-tones


I am crawling through the bang, the bus

In the air, I am crawling towards my friend

Who will never find me


Here, crawling through the centre of a
scream

No comments:

Post a Comment