Saturday 6 August 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book I, Part 2. xxviii-xxx

from Book I, Part 2, Revelations of a Lesser Wife



For a Friend, Delayed by Heavy Rain



Messenger animals I trusted lost my letters

In the silky corn a rooster announces
What I know already

I close the door, wrapping myself in moonlight
In frayed curtains

Close by, water clears stone channels

Autumn is uncertain      
Everyone thinking of home

An old poem comes to mind     

Speaking the verses, I think of the patterns
The lines make

                                               
Looking for Master Zhao

His chanting is nuance
A subtlety of breath the gods find attractive

I arrive hoping he will polish my prayers
A little  

The house is empty though, except for the maid
The alchemy pot with its medicine leaves
Still warm, the tea steeped

I wander into the courtyard
The few lamps, untrimmed
Long shadows

In late sun I think of his return, against whitewashed walls      
Cherry flowers     

           
The Lovesick Cure

I do as I please
No company to answer to         
Playing the tourist
Admiring the moon
Where clouds part

On the river
The mooring rope drags in the water
Is it me or my boat, drifting

Empty temples

In Yu Liang’s gardens I make poems     
Lute chords
Guileless

The bamboo groves
And rocky paths know my name

Bird-shapes above me  
Precious metal sky
Desire is spring’s grassy wine

In the pond
I touch my water face

At night
In my window the moon hanging
Soundless

I lie in my bed, writing this down

My hair, loosened from the brooch
Makes me smile 

Its sudden weight

 

No comments:

Post a Comment