Wednesday 3 August 2016

Relic Environments Trilogy: Book I, Part 2. xix-xxi

from Book I, Part 2, Revelations of a Lesser Wife

Everything Passes


Evening rain, a leaf falling
Then another

A lute is played
The wood strung to accompany a clear voice

No friends or lovers say sweet things

You have earned
Your disappointments

You cultivate a role
A fine carriage at the door arriving for the sage
A scatter of Zen books by the pillow

Everything passes

Somehow, the poor in rags
Still find their way to heaven

Before you, green water

Blue hills 


Autumn Lament

The moon allows too many memories
Lost loves

Autumn wind    
Blowing through the courtyard
Takes your breath

The water-clock close by
Listening to it
Night after night
In the bridal chamber

The room you set aside
Lamp-lit now

Your hair flecked grey  

 
River Journey

We cut downstream across the Yellow River
Heading for Wuchang city

Parrot Island
Makeshift houses
Early light
Our painted barge
Decks of lovers sleeping spoons

I have butterfly dreams
Chasing sweeter nectar

Cormorant Harbour misted over
I lost my bearings

Where did Parrot Island go

Drunk in bed all night
I sang anything that came in my head

Later, feeling rough, finding myself
On the banks of the Hanjiang

Feet still dry

No comments:

Post a Comment